Summer is near over......yay! At least I think yay anyways. Every time I get bored, I'm still excited for school to come--but whenever I actually do something fun (which has happened a lot more in the past several weeks) I start to dread the idea of waking so early and working so hard every day. But, as much as I'm probably going to hate it, I really need the structure (and hopefully the motivation to lose some weight through an actual schedule, no grazing on food at home all day, and actually being about to use the on campus pool to workout). Pretty sure Sam feels the same way about school starting (that mutual excitement and dread) but for several different reasons....maybe I will let him talk about that himself later.
Today was the first official day of that awkward transition between summer and fall. BYU gives you two weeks off between summer and fall classes (the most time off you get all year if you go to school year round) but quite honestly I have no idea what to do with it....much like the rest of the whole summer haha. To fill time (and bring in more money) I'm trying to get a new job, because the one I currently have really never has much work; its really more like a temp job, with sudden spurts of work and lots more dry spells. I've already tried applying to the Plasma Center and a library job this summer with no luck; hopefully the third time is a charm with this job I recently applied for at BYU Creamery (the one on the outskirts of campus). I was highly recommended by one of Sam's (and really my) friend, so hopefully that all works out. I will know by the end of the week, so cross your fingers!
Now it's time to complain about BYU (something I frequently seem to do lately haha). On Saturday I got an email in my financial inbox, bearing news about financial aid and class repeats. So BYU students can actually still be eligible to receive financial aid, by 2011, BYU has to revamp their repeat policy--you have to average the two grades instead of just replace the first with the second. As much as that might stink, it figured it wouldn't hurt me too badly anymore: I will already be in my program by that point and it will give me big incentive to do well. However, as I kept reading, I realized I wasn't immune. The part that hurts is what they decided to put into effect from Fall 2010 until Summer 2011: any classes you are retaking (including classes you withdrew from) don't count towards your credit total for financial aid; you essentially have to pay for them on your own. Okay, because of this, I am SOOOO screwed! I had to withdraw from Infection and Immunity, which is a 4 credit class, during winter semester due to illness. Now I have to retake it to get into my program (which I am applying for in the fall, so it has to be done ASAP).....and now I'm going to have to take at LEAST 16.5 credits to compensate the loss of those 4 credits to stay full time. That's a lot of class....and I definitely can't afford to lose grant money and pick up the tab myself!
I am going to meet with a financial aid counselor to see if I can be an exception to the rule, but they are so packed that I can't even been seen for a week. Apparently lots of other people feel hosed too. I'm just angry because they pretty much sprung this out of nowhere; they vaguely mentioned at the beginning of spring term that they were going to launch a new financial aid policy in the future and that repeating classes may (or may not) hurt you monetarily. But nothing was for sure, and BAM! Now it is. This policy hurts Sam too, but hey, I will also let him explain that in a post of his own.
So yeeeaaaahhhhh......at least I can enjoy a peaceful (albeit boring) few more weeks before BYU (but even more so the government) make my life potentially 2 credits more difficult than it should be. It's hard, because I don't know what else BYU could do in this situation to stay current and comply, but it really hurts me. Oh well.
Our Stats
We began our little Slaugh family chapter on May 1, 2010, in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple about 2 and half years ago! Sam stays busy working for Ralcorp Frozen Foods (better known as the people who make cookies for Lofthouse), creating all sorts of fun new recipes to go out for production. Samantha also stays pretty busy, working over in the laboratory blood bank at St. Mark's Hospital. Jayson is 1 and a half years old and growing up so quickly--he never ceases to amaze us! Maxwell is just one week old, but has already brought a fun new dynamic to our house. We love music, making new friends (that means YOU!), eating good food, being with our super awesome families, and each other :]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment