It seems that on my Saturdays off of work, I always get sick or something else crazy pops up. January 26th was no exception. The day before (January 25th), I had my 37 week doctor's appointment, and they told me that they didn't think I had much longer to suffer being pregnant. I just laughed at them, because Jayson took his sweet time coming (40 weeks and 1 day) so I figured I would maybe have Max a few days early.....certainly not 3 weeks early. So you can imagine my surprise when on Saturday, I was having what I thought were contractions. I have to say thought because I was pretty much induced with Jayson, and pitocin contractions are lot more strong and painful than what nature makes, at least at first. After trying to get things done all day and see if my body would keep it up, Sam and I decided to head to the hospital around 7 at night. I felt guilty dropping off Jayson for the night at my sister's and causing such a stir, particularly if this wasn't the real deal, but decided that it would be in our best interests to make sure everything was okay.
After staying for an observational hour in the hospital, they decided I was having contractions/progressing enough on my own to have a baby that night! I think that's when things began to kind of hit home for Sam and I--Jayson had just had his 18 month birthday that day, and we were bringing another baby into the world within the next 12 hours. Can you say overwhelming a little bit?? But the excitement of getting to meet "Baby Max" (as we had nicknamed him) kept us (or at least me) going through the IV and epidural insertions and wide awake.
We were hoping that our little boy would be born on the 26th, but by the time 11:45 pm had rolled around, it seemed like my body had slowed down progress a fair bit. So, it was on to the pitocin (big boo) and waiting a few more hours. Finally, at 2:11 am on January 27th, Maxwell Chase Slaugh finally decided that it was time to make his big appearance! We were really surprised to find out that he weighed 7 pounds 6 ounces--my doctor told me I was really lucky that he came so early; otherwise we could have easily had a 9 pound baby at 40 weeks. No thank you!
When Jayson was born, they had the NICU team on standby just in case he had any breathing problems due to swallowing meconium, but luckily he was just fine. True to style, we got the NICU team there again for Maxwell due to being 3 weeks early. He did need a fair bit of help clearing his lungs, and then his blood sugar was too low. It was looking like he was going to have to actually be admitted to the NICU, but after he had a little bit of formula, his sugars came back up and stayed up. We were really grateful to have avoided that bullet again.The only other health issue we've had with Max was needed to get the skin under his tongue clipped a little bit, but that was pretty non-traumatic all things considered. Max has been considerably less jaundiced than Jayson, not to mention a lot less gassy/spit-uppy (if that's even a word lol). He has been doing just fine on his formula, so we are holding high hopes that maybe Max has dodged the CSID bullet too.
Here are a few pictures, which I know is what you've been waiting for :]
Daddy and Maxwell not too long after he was born. Love this picture of Sam :]
The afternoon after Max was born, Jayson came to visit us. He was really bashful about the new baby, but seemed interested. He was really excited to see Sam too (and just a touch mad at me), and enjoyed drinking from my giant cup a lot haha.
And finally a few of the professional hospital pictures they shot on day 2 of Max's life.....
Love this baby! Even though I am still really tired, not gonna lie. Recovery has been faster in some ways, and slower in others compared with having Jayson. It definitely poses more of a challenge having two little boys as opposed to just one, particularly with Sam being gone at work a lot more this time around. But we are making it through one day at a time, and for now that is all I can ask for.





No comments:
Post a Comment