So, today was actually lots of fun. Even though it required, as most days do, getting out of bed, the day was not of the variety which normally are described as the "having gotten out of bed on the wrong side" variety. The weather was nicer walking to school, my D&C class wasn't too bad, lunch at the Pendulum Court was yummy, work was fun, and my lab was fun. After all of my scholastic duties were fulfilled, Samantha and I walked home (ok, it was really cold walking home), and made smoothies. After smoothies had been consumed, Samantha made dinner.
Yes, I did get that right. Samantha made a really yummy dinner. (She also made dinner last night if anyone cares, and it was very yummy as well.) Tonight we had chicken stir-fry with basmati rice and potstickers. My (only) job was to cook the rice in our brand new rice cooker. So my job was taken care of in about 3 minutes. Samantha took care of the rest of dinner. She cut and cooked the chicken, cooked the veggies (more on that later), and fried the potstickers. she even seasoned and sauced the whole thing by herself. It tasted really yummy, as I mentioned earlier. I am beginning to suspect that she is actually a really good cook who just enjoys having me cook because I like cooking. (^_^)
Anyway, about those vegetables. Normally I dislike when frozen vegetable mixes are used in stir-fry type meals because the vegetables are always soggy and limp. Well, my wife had a brilliant idea on how to prevent this from happening: drain the water halfway through the cooking process. I know, it sounds so basic and obvious, but it made all the difference. The vegetables were crisp and not the least bit soggy.
And since we are talking about how much we liked last night's dinner, I will spend a small amount of time writing about how much I love rice cookers. You see, I used to hate devices such as rice cookers because I thought they were a waste of space, especially considering I was positive I know how to cook rice. Well, it turns out that I don't really know how to cook rice well, as was evidenced by the many meals which were mangled by my poor rice cooking skills. So, last night we caved and bought ourselves a $23 rice cooker from Walmart. I don't think that I can ever go back to cooking rice in a pot. Seriously, this rice last night was some of the best rice I have ever cooked/eaten. Granted, it could have used a little salt and maybe some herbal addition, but it was magnificent none the less. I think that I will be eating a lot more rice in the future.
I have to admit, not all of today has been stellar. For the past two hours I have been suffering from a headache that changes from mild to massive every 10 minutes or so. I took some pain killers as soon as I realized that a headache was imminent, but I apparently didn't take them soon enough or in high enough quantities to make a difference. Oh well, at least it will go away when I go to sleep. That is my hope anyway. Well, this has been a rather long post, so I shall end it now. Have a good night everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment